hors d’ oeuvres are served….
The other day I was looking for something healthy for dinner and I decided to flip to the appetizers section of my Paleo Diet Cookbook. I wasn’t super hungry….I just wanted something yummy and easy for dinner that wouldn’t pack on the pounds. I settled on two recipes, tweaked them slightly (as always) and now I bring them to you! Super tasty…perfect for two, or for a party!
*1 package whole mushrooms (about 12)
*1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
*3 garlic cloves, pressed (or 1 tablespoon diced garlic from a jar.)
*1/2 cup diced shallots
*1/4 cup white cooking wine
*1 tablespoon dried basil
*1 tablespoon dried oregano
*1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove stems from mushrooms, chop finely and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium flame.
3. Add garlic and shallots and saute for two minutes while stirring.
4. Pour in white wine and bring to a slight boil.
5. Toss in chopped mushroom stems, parsley, basil and oregano.
6. Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
7. Remove from heat and drain off any excess liquid.
8. Spoon into mushroom caps.
9. Place on cookie sheet and bake in oven for 20 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
Mini-Roast Beef Wraps
*1 pound thinly sliced roast beef (not too thinly though! )
*1 small avocado
*1 cup raw spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
*1 small apple, washed and cut into 8 wedges
*1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
*1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1. Lay roast beef slices out on a cutting board or other smooth surface.
2. Mash avocado until it is spreadable (like guacamole.) Using a butter knife, spread onto each slice of roast beef.
3. Layer with spinach and apple wedges.
4. Sprinkle with oregano and rosemary.
5. Roll to create wraps.
6. Cut into bite size pieces (and spear with a toothpick for use at parties.)